Training Blog

This is my training blog that details how I am getting on training for a cycle ride from my home in the West Midlands to Brixham, South Devon which is scheduled in June 2009. I am doing this to raise money for Rowcroft Hospice who cared for my mother who passed away in April 2008 due to Motor Neurone Disease.

Enjoy the read....I had not been on a bike since I was a teenager and this is a whole new world to me, however I am determined to succeed, for my Mum and for the personal challenge.

Week 1 complete

Today I took the ride into work option. It was fine, no major problems although the early start was not great. It took me a while to wake up, oh and while placing my bottle into the cage while riding, I missed, fortunately no cars were around so my drink and bottle were safe, I just had to retreive it from the middle of the road!

The ride back was different, I was planning on a longer route home but I left my map at work and the weather did not look great. I made the right choice because just as I hit the A road, I experienced a scottish summer: wind, driving rain, spray from lorries and I got soaked. It was fun but also a little scary. It was totally different riding, I just gritted my teeth and rode as fast as I could but I really had to concentrate. The puddles are all at the side of the road, just where I have to ride and there was no choice but to ride through them. I think it is important for us all to ride in these conditions because I am sure that at some point on our journey this is going to happen.

So in total today I rode 18.8miles today (9.4 each way)....I will now be having a break until Monday because I am off to Devon for the weekend minus the Bike. My plan next week is to ride into work on Monday, Wednesday and Friday......I may then do a 25 mile ride on Sunday.

It is now 1 week since I got my bike and did my first blog post. It feels like I have been doing this for ages however in 1 week I have achieved 73.6 Miles. Two cycles into work (18.8 miles each), A cycle at John Berry's house (22 Miles) and a single cycle into Meriden of 12.3 Miles. I am quite happy with this although I know I now need to step this up because when I ride into work my legs do not ache, this is not a good sign. I need to push on.

1 comment:

John Berry said...

Ohhhhhhh blog looks posh ;-).......