Training Blog

This is my training blog that details how I am getting on training for a cycle ride from my home in the West Midlands to Brixham, South Devon which is scheduled in June 2009. I am doing this to raise money for Rowcroft Hospice who cared for my mother who passed away in April 2008 due to Motor Neurone Disease.

Enjoy the read....I had not been on a bike since I was a teenager and this is a whole new world to me, however I am determined to succeed, for my Mum and for the personal challenge.

Fantastic Ride

I did not ride to work today as I overslept so I decided I would go out for a ride this evening.

I got home about 4:45pm and was on the road by 5:05pm. I came up with a new route using gmap and it was great. It was not easy, in fact there were some very steep hills however the steep ones were not that long but there were some other steady climbs that were quite long. It was a great ride because I was shocked how I felt on the bike. I seemed to have loads more power in my legs and only dropped down a few gears when taking on hills and was able to maintain momentum which was an issue the other day. I was able to really attack the hills accelerating and increasing my speed. I am looking forward to getting the bike computer because I am very interested in my speed and avg speed.

The route was 12.3 miles and I did it in 1 hour. Not the fastest, in fact I thought I was faster than that however there were alot of hills and an avg speed of 12mph is not bad.

I was really excited about going out tonight and was buzzing when I got home again not because of the distance achieved but how much stronger I felt. It will be very interesting to see how I get on riding into work on Thursday because if it goes as I expect then it will be very easy.

I am away this weekend so no long rides however the following week I will try and get to the 20 mile ride mark in the evening, I will probably stick at the 20 mile mark for a few weeks and concentrate on increasing my avg speed. 12 Miles is no problem and it is a good bench mark to push on from. I really want to achieve 50 miles by the end of July, early august.....But we will see I want my avg speed to increase first and time at the moment is on our side......

My Route = Balsall Common > Berkswell > Four Oaks > Meriden
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2037139

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You need to get that set up done...properly! There is one height for the saddle and only one lateral position too. You must take care at this early point in your training and development not to cause damage by using a badly set up bike!

Nath & Becks said...

Hi Dave, thanks for your comment. How do you know my bike is badly setup? My seat is now perfect, I do need to increase and handle bars and will address this shortly. thanks for your concern though...nath