Training Blog

This is my training blog that details how I am getting on training for a cycle ride from my home in the West Midlands to Brixham, South Devon which is scheduled in June 2009. I am doing this to raise money for Rowcroft Hospice who cared for my mother who passed away in April 2008 due to Motor Neurone Disease.

Enjoy the read....I had not been on a bike since I was a teenager and this is a whole new world to me, however I am determined to succeed, for my Mum and for the personal challenge.

July 28th - Biggest after work ride

Well tonight I got home had tea (Cod on Rocket Salad, with home made potato wedges)........I got on my bike at about 5:30pm and after one false start (I got down the road and realised I have forgot my helmet!) I got going.  The sky was starting to go very dark however I am not scared of thunder and a bit of rain...or so I thought

Anyway just 2 mins into my journey it started to rain, these were those big pre-thunder storm big rain drops. This sort of rain continued for about 4 miles then stopped for a bit.  However about 9 miles into my ride the thunder, lightning, heavy rain started, I got soaked, it was actually quite scary because I was quite exposed to the weather as I was riding in country lanes.

At one point I could hardly see from the spray and rain in my eyes (mixed with sweat of course)........

I continued on and did not take any shortcuts home and completed the 25.4 miles in 1hr, 37mins with a avg speed of 15.6mph.  I also extended my top speed to 34mph coming past the Waterman Pub towards Warwick.

I am actually really pleased with tonight, It was not easy as the conditions were at some points very difficult, I achieved 25 miles in just over 1hr 30mins and this was after a days work. Although some of the hills were hard work I could have continued. I had one slight scare towards the end when I decided to try and get up the final hill in top gear not dropping below 17mph, half way up I felt something in my right nee move and it did not feel good! however there has been no pain and it feels fine.

I will go out again tomorrow (Probably just 15 miles), Wednesday i am playing Golf.

Route Here  

1 comment:

Nath & Becks said...

Glad all the effort I went to for tea got a mention!!

Fix the visor onto your helmet...will help if it's raining!