Training Blog

This is my training blog that details how I am getting on training for a cycle ride from my home in the West Midlands to Brixham, South Devon which is scheduled in June 2009. I am doing this to raise money for Rowcroft Hospice who cared for my mother who passed away in April 2008 due to Motor Neurone Disease.

Enjoy the read....I had not been on a bike since I was a teenager and this is a whole new world to me, however I am determined to succeed, for my Mum and for the personal challenge.

July 22nd - I'm back on the saddle

Well after 8 days off my bike due to a combination of illness, tiredness and trying to decorate my sons bedroom I had not been on the bike for 8 days.  I was totally out of the routine and could have easily not gone again tonight, however I knew that I had too and I am so glad I did.  I only did the 12 mile Meriden > Hampton-In-Arden > Barston route and I felt great. I got on the bike like a man possessed and managed to add 1mph to my average speed.

I did 12 miles in 47min, 22secs - with an average speed of 15.2mph.  I also hit a top speed of 32.1mph........More importantly I did not stop once not even for a drink, I felt strong and like I had not been off the bike.  This has taught me that it is OK to have a few days break although 8 is too many, also my plan of not riding the week leading upto JOGLE will probably work.

I will go out again tomorrow night and will hopefully complete a long ride on Sunday 30+ miles.

No comments: