Training Blog

This is my training blog that details how I am getting on training for a cycle ride from my home in the West Midlands to Brixham, South Devon which is scheduled in June 2009. I am doing this to raise money for Rowcroft Hospice who cared for my mother who passed away in April 2008 due to Motor Neurone Disease.

Enjoy the read....I had not been on a bike since I was a teenager and this is a whole new world to me, however I am determined to succeed, for my Mum and for the personal challenge.

July 13th - Longest ride so far

Well today has been a busy day, we were out as a family this morning and then got home about 1pm.  I straight away took advantage of the sun and decided to cut the grass.  We then ate some pasta and salad and I did not get out on the bike until 3pm! The plan today was to do 25 - 30 miles today, it would have been very easy not to do the miles because of the time I got on the bike and we had made plans to go round my brothers house about 5.  However I headed out on the Meriden > Hampton-in-Arden route and it was good, it was quite warm today and after 12 Miles it was decision time, 1mile back home to complete the 13 mile circuit or head out towards Knowle.  I took the decision to carry on.

I then went towards Knowle > Lapworth > Rowington > Warwick > Home.  In total I did a total of 29 miles, in 2hrs 2min cycle time (2hr, 10mins total) with a AVG Speed of 14.2mph.  This is the longest cycle I have ever done.  There were times during the ride when I felt tired however It was actually OK.  I felt good, the last few miles were hard but I probably could have carried on.  I certainly felt a lot better than I did after my 22 mile ride on Day 2.

I also beat my top speed and hit 31.7mph.  I got home, jumped in the shower and then went to my brothers house to try out his new hot tub! My legs don't ache (Probably helped by the 2 hours spent in the Hot Tub).  Even though I was out for 2 hours it felt longer. I won't say that I enjoyed it because I was rushing to get back in time.  I find that you never enjoy the first time you go for a new milestone (If you start enjoying it then it is time to push on again!!)

Anyway, I plan to ride to work a few times this week and will look to try and do another 30 miles next weekend. I don't think the jump from 30 miles to 50 will be to difficult, beyond that seems too much yet.  My biggest concern so far is my speed, it seems like my avg speed is around 14mph, I am quite happy with this but is it enough for JOGLE and the others?, I am however only on day 16 of training!

My Route:

No comments: