Training Blog

This is my training blog that details how I am getting on training for a cycle ride from my home in the West Midlands to Brixham, South Devon which is scheduled in June 2009. I am doing this to raise money for Rowcroft Hospice who cared for my mother who passed away in April 2008 due to Motor Neurone Disease.

Enjoy the read....I had not been on a bike since I was a teenager and this is a whole new world to me, however I am determined to succeed, for my Mum and for the personal challenge.

Aug 31st - Group Ride

Well today was the next get together. In attendance was John Berry, Joy Green and myself.

I had planned the route but never actually completed it, although I had done some of the stages. We set off on time at 10am and headed towards Meriden, It takes me about 5 - 8 miles to warm up and I had not been on my bike for a week so I was a bit rusty.

We went Meriden > Fillongley > Maxstoke > Meriden > Hampton In Arden > Chadwick End before lunch.  32 miles in about 2 hours with a avg speed approx 15.4mph. I felt good before lunch, I managed to clock up my fastest speed yet 38.5mph..

We took it in turns to take the lead and cycled quite closely which made a difference for whoever was behind. We stopped for lunch at the Orange Tree in Chadwick End were we met by Becks, Sascha and my Kids for lunch.

After a pleasant lunch we started out again this time in the rain, and headed towards Lapworth > Rowington > Warwick > Leek Wooton > Kenilworth and then home.  The afternoon ride was much harder for me and between 30 and 40 miles hurt.  However once through the 40 mile point (my previous longest ride) the pain went although I was slower overall, sometimes crawing up the hills.

We did another 21 miles after lunch although there were more hills.  All in All is was great, we completed 53 miles with an avg speed around 14.9mph which I was quite pleased with. Once I was home I had a bath, I was filthy and do really feel tired.

I must now build on this.  I need 50 miles to now be the benchmark for my longer rides and must get on the bike more regulary.

Over lunch we also finalised the route.  See John Berry's blog for details and pictures.  Thanks to John, Joy and Sascha for making time for this ride I think it was quite beneficial for all.

The Route: Here

No comments: