Training Blog

This is my training blog that details how I am getting on training for a cycle ride from my home in the West Midlands to Brixham, South Devon which is scheduled in June 2009. I am doing this to raise money for Rowcroft Hospice who cared for my mother who passed away in April 2008 due to Motor Neurone Disease.

Enjoy the read....I had not been on a bike since I was a teenager and this is a whole new world to me, however I am determined to succeed, for my Mum and for the personal challenge.

Aug 24th - Town Riding

I was not planning to go out today however the plans I had changed so I thought I would go for a bike ride.  I had an idea of where I wanted to ride but had not plans for the total mileage.

So I set off towards Kenilworth everything was going well until I was on the final hill into Kenilworth when I nearly fell off.  The road was quite narrow but there was a lot of traffic. Basically due to a number of factors I got to close to the curb, my left peddle clipped the curb and I had seconds to react.  I am not really sure what happened next however I managed to stay on the bike, just, but due to whatever happened both of my bottles got thrown off the bike and ended up in the middle of the road.  I pulled onto the path and went back to retrieve my bottles. It was just one of those things really, it did not shake me up but it was just a reminder to concentrate more!!

I carried on minus drink which was left behind on the road and headed into Warwick, I then decided to cycle home the proper way, i.e. not using the lanes.  This meant cycling up the hill near the Waterman which I had not done yet. Surprisingly it was OK although at the steepest point I was in lowest gear.

Anyway I did the 20 miles without drink in 1hr 20mins......Not fast enough really but It was good to get out.

Tuesday and Wednesday next week I am off work and plan back to back 50 mile rides!!!! Watch this space

Today Route:  Here

No comments: