Training Blog

This is my training blog that details how I am getting on training for a cycle ride from my home in the West Midlands to Brixham, South Devon which is scheduled in June 2009. I am doing this to raise money for Rowcroft Hospice who cared for my mother who passed away in April 2008 due to Motor Neurone Disease.

Enjoy the read....I had not been on a bike since I was a teenager and this is a whole new world to me, however I am determined to succeed, for my Mum and for the personal challenge.

June 28 - 22 Mile ride with John, Campbell and Marian

Well I set off this morning at 8:15 to head down to chippenham, John Berry's home. I arrived at 10:30 via Halfords as I had forgotten my most prived possesion right now, padded shorts!

We set off for the ride at 11am, I started OK until we came to the first hill, it was a nightmare, it was steep and went on and on. I was slow and at the top I had to stop for a drink. The minute I stopped I felt very faint, I was trying to figure out why I was feeling like I was, then i remembered that I had had a wheatabix for breakfast, driven for 2 and a half hours then went straight out. Campbell very kindly offered me a cerial bar with oats, nuts and other bird type food. This istantly helped and my energy came back. I did not have to stop again due to not being able to make a hill however at every hill I was slow, my leg strength is low however on a positive I know I can increase that over time, however on the flat or downhill I was clearly the fastest man in the world, ask John Berry if he remembers a red flash shoot past him. Obviously in the end I let him catch up because he knew the way.

Towards the end I was getting very tired and the final gentle climb was long and into the wind had me struggling however I did it. On Day 2 of training I did 22 miles, I was clearly off the pace but I do feel proud. I want to do that route again in a few months to see how I have progressed.

I still need to higher my seat and get the bike setting right however I now plan to have 2 days off before riding into work on Tuesday.

The pub was nice and even though it has been a long day it was well worth it. I believe it is my turn to organise the next get together for a bike ride and I have already started at looking for a 50mile route with a pub in the middle.

No comments: