Training Blog

This is my training blog that details how I am getting on training for a cycle ride from my home in the West Midlands to Brixham, South Devon which is scheduled in June 2009. I am doing this to raise money for Rowcroft Hospice who cared for my mother who passed away in April 2008 due to Motor Neurone Disease.

Enjoy the read....I had not been on a bike since I was a teenager and this is a whole new world to me, however I am determined to succeed, for my Mum and for the personal challenge.

June 26 - Part 2 - The training has begun

Ok, firstly I went against all advice. I was in such a rush to go out tonight before Becky went out that I rushed home, ate my dinner, set the bike up (i.e. Pedals and Handle Bars) and then went. It was pouring with rain and windy. I did not touch seat height or anything else.

To be honest It was not great! I started off thinking this bike is so light, lets see how fast I can go, I was rushing everything. I did not have a clue how to change gears so found myself trying to figure this our while riding along with traffic on Station Road, my road positioning was shocking and probably dangerous and i felt very vulnerable on the road. I was also surprised that I did not have much confidence on the road amongst traffic.

Having said that it was great to get out, the bike is great but I only did 2.3 miles in about 10 mins as I had to get back home. I would have loved longer to try and get used to it more. I had to stop a few time because I was trying to work some stuff out.

I am going to ride into work tomorrow (9 miles, each way), it may be slightly crazy however it is the best way I learn and hopefully after tomorrow I will feel better. Saturday is actually quite scary right now.

Oh and the padded shorts were good, they helped, although you feel every bump in the road and my legs did ache a bit (however at one point I went up a hill in the highest gear). I certainly need to learn the art of steady riding and get into a rhythm, this did not happen tonight.

Link for my route is here.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2024476

Also I have changed my mind on Mud guards, my back was soaking and cold due to the spray and it was very annoying.

1 comment:

John Berry said...

Ahhhhhhhhh told you so......;-)

You cant rush it or you will fall of...Ohhhhhhps


Well done....I am looking forward to Saturday you will find it better with more people